Atmos Energy recently became aware of an ongoing “Search Engine Phishing” operation, where cybercriminals use search engine optimization (SEO) techniques to place a fake website into a browser’s top search results. Any user who clicks on one of these “spoofed” websites will be redirected to what looks like a legitimate Atmos Energy page, but that fake page will feature a fake customer service number and other false information. Atmos Energy's official website is AtmosEnergy.com and customers can call the utility toll-free at (888) 286-6700.
If a customer calls the fake customer service number, they may be asked to provide login credentials or other sensitive information that the scammers can leverage to compromise bank, credit card or other accounts belonging to the same customer.
Telephone scams are also on the rise, including one where impostors call customers directly and offer a discount on their Atmos Energy bill if they pay immediately over the phone. As a reminder:
- Atmos Energy will never ask for payment using prepaid debit cards, gift cards, cryptocurrency, or unauthorized third-party payment or mobile applications.
- If you ever have concerns about the legitimacy of a call, simply hang up and call Atmos Energy customer service at (888) 286-6700.
- Payment for an Atmos Energy bill should be made through the online Account Center at AtmosEnergy.com or through other authorized payment methods.
- Atmos Energy will provide multiple notices and work to assist customers with payment plans and assistance options before any service interruptions take place.
- Unless there is an emergency, Atmos Energy employees will not call before 7 a.m. or after 6 p.m. Central time.
- Visit the Atmos Energy website at AtmosEnergy.com/Scams.
Customers who suspect fraud or who feel threatened during contact with a scammer should contact local law enforcement authorities and Atmos Energy Customer Service at (888) 286-6700, Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. and 6 p.m. Central time.